Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

Ever by Gail Carson Levine

"Fate...may...be...thwarted. [...] I long...for..a happy outcome" - Ever.

Ever by Gail Carson Levine is the intertwining story of Olus, God of the wind, and Kezi, a normal village girl. Olus is much younger than the rest of the gods and longs to live with the mortal humans. One day, when living in Hyte he falls in love with Kezi. Kezi's love for him is reciprocal. Her days, however, are numbered because of an unbreakable oath. This is the story of their love and race to change fate. 


This book was very easy and quick to read and I really do mean quick. It took me only 3-4 hours to read the book. The only thing that got me at the start were the names. The names were all foreign and so it made it hard to memorise who was who. It made it worse considering that the two youth would call their parents by their first names, more name to memorise. Also, everyone had a 'mati'. Now, I don't know if it is just me but I  have no idea what a 'mati' is. I think they were sort of a nurse/nannies (correct me if I am wrong).

I really liked that the chapters were narrated by both Olus and Kezi. It wasn't as if they each repeated the same events, but instead the story moved smoothly, even when the two were part. It was also good to have both opinions and thoughts.

Like I mentioned in the beginning the book was very quick and easy. The plot and ending weren't surprising and story wasn't very complex. However, it was still an enjoyable read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment