Pages

Wednesday 4 November 2015

How to be Invisible by Tim Lott


“Trust is invisible too, but it turns out that that it’s the invisible things that matter most of all”



How to be Invisible by Tim Lott is the story of a 13 year old science genius who, as per the title, learns how to turn invisible. Strato Nyman, just moved schools and was having a hard time fitting in. When he discovers how to be invisible, he finds out that no one is ever really ‘visible’. He learns a lot about his family, his friends, his bullies and even his teacher.  

I think I may be too old for this book. I kind of worked that out from the age of the protagonist. However, the title seemed so interesting, I decided to read it anyway. So, of course since I’m not the target audience, this review might be a bit harsh.


Firstly, I didn’t think that the language in this book didn’t really related to the character. I know he was very intelligent and mature for his age, but I still don’t think that he would speak in such an adult language and tone. Such as this line about Game of Thrones, “It was more grown up = full of real full-on violence and also quite sexy”. It just seems strange to imagine a young adolescent boy, or even an a man, saying something like that. But who knows, there may be some cultural differences, since this book was published in England.

Also, one of the first things I noticed, was that this book tells too much. You know how English teachers are always to ‘show not tell’. Well, I finally understand the importance of it. Maybe it was necessary to explain everything because a younger audience may not have understood the themes Lott was trying to present, but I just found it interrupted the story. The explanations of words, while kind of nice, were also a bit annoying. Especially, since it was always introduced with, “which incidentally means…” This made it sound like Strato didn’t actually know what he was saying at time and later, “by the way” found out this meaning. I don’t know, it was just a bit disruptive.
What I did really like, was the inclusion of scientific explanations. I think Lott managed to explain everything in a really succinct way. I didn’t understand how all the experiments worked but I was still interested by it. This is quite the achievement for a reader, considering I have always held a slight (or a considerable) dislike for science.


Overall, I did enjoy How to be Invisible book. And I am so glad to be reading again after a busy period at school. I know I critiqued this book quite a lot, but I do think it’s an interesting book – it is a book for younger people. I would say that anyone aged 9-12 will quite enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment